Establishing the facts
Find out as much as possible, as soon as possible, from the person who first reported the problem. Useful questions to ask them include:
- when and how did they first become aware of the fraudulent website/domain name?
- who have they spoken to?
- if the notification relates to the registration of a domain name, is there a corresponding website, or has the domain name simply been registered?
- what is the content of the fraudulent website/domain name and how does it relate to your actual website/domain?
- are there any contact details for the party responsible for the fraudulent website/domain name?
- are they aware of a legitimate reason why the third party has registered the domain name/is operating the website?
Make sure the informer – and anyone they may have already told – understands the importance of strict confidentiality.